Verticals, the choice antennas for low band DX

This was first published at V44KF.spaces.live.com on 16th July 2006.

****************************************

I have enjoyed every moment of my Ham Radio hobby since 1968. But over the last year or so I have found it even more enjoyable since I began experimenting with home made short, top and bottom loaded vertical antennas. Low band dxing has never been easier with 100 watts given the prevailing propagation and band conditions from the Caribbean to the rest of the world.

My band of choice is 40 meters but I am now experimenting on 80 meters and also on 20 meters. In the old days I used a 5 element beam, CA-155, on 15 meters with an Icom IC-745 and that worked nicely into Japan at afternoons. I also had a Mosley TA33 Jr but I was forever ordering the driven element insulators and I don't recall having any fun with that beam. I also played with the delta loop when that antenna was the talk of the day and my best contact was with a YB0ADI or YB0ADM on 14.185 MHz one morning on my Collins KWM-1. Those days there was a Pacific DX net running on 14.185 MHz, with 6Y5GB and 8R1CB being the big guns of that day, using Hallicrafter Hurricanse and Cyclone, etc.

Those days I though I was having a lot of fun, but today I am enjoying a new level of ham radio fun and excitement, performing experiments with antennas, specifically short, top and bottom loaded verticals. In order to help spread the word about this, back-to-basics, antenna configuration I started verticals2@yahoogroups.com This yahoo group is also to show case the experimental antennas at this qth and also antenna installations of ham radio stationss in V4 land. I hope that it will also serve as a motivator to all V4 hams [and other hams too] who should seek to improve their antenna installations so that V4 signals can be the loudest on the bands.

After a few years of ham radio activity some hams, like me, develop a preference for one or two ham bands. Some hams would therefore focus attention on using the best single band antenna possible, while others prefer a multiband antenna configuration. I am yet to find a ready made mutiband antenna that would match or outperform an optimized single band antenna. Maybe it's out there somewhere but I have not been introduced to it as yet. I was intrigued with 40 meters, maybe it is because my ham radio activity was mainly afternoon to night to morning, and having to work an 8 to 4 day job. Of course all the Caribbean stations were also on 40 meters.

I have also experimented with 1/4 wave verticals with elevated radials, but the 120 degree long radials worked best. I had fair success with phasing the verticals but the present experiments with short top and bottom loaded vertical dipoles show me that simple basic antenna is the way to go. Ask Force12 about that. I notice that a few serious hams are now manufacturing real back-to-basics antennas for the rest of us. If you are like me and don't want to invest a small fortune in these ready made antennas, you can build it yourself. All the information is available on the internet. All the parts are in the hardware store, so are the few hand tools that you need. Most of you hams are lucky because you can get the raw materials at the store. We are not so lucky here and have to recycle antennas and aluminum tubing.

My experimental 20-ft top and bottom loaded vertical dipole antenna produces the biggest signal on 40 meters out of V4. There is the talk shop net on 7.195 MHz every day with the Net Controller from the US starting at 06.30 AST, 10.30 GMT. You have to listen and hear my signal for yourself. I am told that it is really big. But that is what an antenna is supposed to do, and I expect it to do just that. So if you are not being heard by the DX you may need to try this antenna out. If you can manage a full sized vertical dipole that's great, but if you are limited in space like me, and can't put a 40 meter or 80 meter beam on a tower, maybe you need to try the short, top and bottom loaded vertical dipole antenna.

I will take some photos of the antennas later and upload to this space.

Join the verticals2 yahoogroup http://groups.yahoo.com/group/verticals2/ and get more info on verticals and other antennas. The antenna is what makes hame radio enjoyable. You hear more and you are heard by more. My 20 meter vertical is only 8-ft long, but contacts into the US are 59+. I have not run any comparisons with any other V4 station. As long as I get 59+ out of the US I am pleased.

Have a nice ham radio day. I hope that this would help even one ham operator to give his or her antenna a second look. If it's a vertical antenna make sure that it is properly installed. If you are not using a current balun on you vertical antenna you better get one or two and install them ASAP. I make my current baluns up with the parts [ferrite beads and coax cable] from www.thewireman.com but the baluns are also available ready made. Place one balun at each end of the coax cable feeding the vertical. My 3 feedlines for 20, 40 and 80 meter antennas go to a BW antenna switch. Each line on the switch has a balun and a balun also connects the switch to the transceiver, TS-940SAT. In theory these baluns may be helping to create the great on-the-air signal reports I receive.

Have a nice ham radio day.

73s

Keeth
V44KF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old rigs never die .... But ....

40/80 meter antenna, more

Five months and counting