40/80 meter antenna, more

Where did the last two months go? It is not that I can't account for them, but somehow for some reason I just did not reach my ham radio blog. I guess it comes with aging, and we just have to take it in stride. Maybe we are moving slower and time overtakes us, but whatever it may be, it is no cause for concern. Fortunately, this time around I have an explanation, not an excuse, but I don't know if I can fix it to stop from happening again. It is Facebook and more Facebook.

Not to be outdone I have joined Facebook, not to run any race with the children and grandchildren, nor to keep an eye on them and their friends, but to keep myself 'active' and in the know. I have been encouraged to come out of photographic retirement by some kind and loving Facebook friends and I am liking the idea. At this age I find it is easy to fight what I believe to be the Facebook addiction, even though I have never experienced an addiction other than to ham radio and photography in the last 3 score plus years. You know you are a goner when you can't pass a rig and don't pause for a closer look and a touch. You will also drive miles just to take a peep.

Facebook, puts the book in your face 24/7, but if you are smart, and you would be as a senior citizen, you can use that to your greatest advantage. Ham radio is still a bit soft in my view as I have not found any FB groups to my fancy, primarily because those I saw seem to lack that practical activity associated with my ham radio. I don't think that a vertical antenna Facebook group would get the support like it does on other networks, but then you never know.

No further experimenting was done on my 40/80 meter vertical antenna with a single feed line. I have lost 220 square feet of yard space adjacent to the antenna to a container, so the test antenna will have to be relocated soon. However it is still working into the USA perfectly okay, oblivious of the container just inches away.

I am now at the crossroad of antenna relocation. My options seem to be [a] to reinstall the antenna as presently configured, [b] to install a 40 and 80 meter top and bottom loaded vertical antenna using two separate vertical aluminum tubings on the same 2x4 lumber mast, insulated and back to back with [b1] one common feed line or [b2] separate feed lines for each vertical antenna, [c] to install a single 40 meter top and bottom loaded vertical antenna, as before.

After much agonizing, like 5 minutes, I am going with option [c], so that before the holidays begin I should have the 40 meter top and bottom loaded vertical up and radiating again. I now have to decide on the length of the vertical section. The 1/8 wavelength is pretty cool but I rather like the better RS reports received from a 1/4 wavelength vertical section. The mast for this antenna is already in place and patiently awaiting deployment.

The 80 meter top and bottom vertical antenna which was abandoned during the 40/80 meter antenna experiments will be reclaimed from the overgrowing pawpaw tree. As much as I hate to remove the antenna obstruction, the pawpaw tree and nature has not found it necessary to provide me with any fruits for a couple seasons. We have not had a pawpaw tree in this yard for some time so this accidental growth was quite welcome, even though it was in a very bad spot.

So things are looking up for the holidays. Only a few hams here seem not to be taken in with the politics of the Nation. Maybe they do not recognize that politicians come, and politicians go, but ham radio is forever ... so I am sticking with my ham radio, and I would venture to suggest that they think about that too.

I expect to update this blog frequently from now, but just in case I get caught up again, and miss the time, Happy Holidays when it comes, and let us see what we can do, not just for our own personal ham radio, but for ham radio that positively impact our brothers and sisters nationally and internationally.


Have a great ham radio day.

73

Keeth, V44KF

Comments

Anonymous said…
Interesting story you got here. I'd like to read more concerning this topic. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is a few photos of some devices.
John Kripke
Phone jammer
Anonymous said…
Если кому интересно, лучший способ защитить себя от назойливых телефонных звонков - приобрести Подавитель сотовых

Popular posts from this blog

Old rigs never die .... But ....

Five months and counting