It is time, again




The 2021 Atlantic Hurricane Season officially closes, and so begins, for most of us, the period of "any other business". Speaking from my own experience of over 50 years, most hams just seem to take a break, a recess, until the next hurricane season. Amateur radio is a hobby and we should not be unduly perturbed because hams do not think like us. Everybody presents their personal brand of ham radio.  I am comfortable with, and work with all those who think like me, and act like me. Amateur radio should be a contuinuous flow of activity, from seasom to season. 

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/active-2021-atlantic-hurricane-season-officially-ends?fbclid=IwAR2mfpSnJxyEGoofgJfx4sIBTuQxJHInhIs0MLFbuLMd6D6aF_4sXXKASmc 

My amateur radio continues with the instalation and testing of new antennas, based on recently acquired infirmation from a research document. I welcome the information because I am now able to install all my vertical antennas on the ground, rather than in the air above head height. This also means that I no longer have to use my foldover mast, which needs two [2] persons when a full 40 meter or 80meter vertical is mounted on it. The pictures above show my 20 meter vetical on a temporary 5 foot mast awaiting completion and testing.  After this I will test the antenna in an on-the-ground installation. 

I have ham radio friends building vertical antennas for some time now, but the parts used seem rather elusive, and the construction is seriously delayed. I am anxious to compare the performance of those vertical antennas with the simpler one that I can build.  I believe that an amateur radio operator should build an antenna that is suitable for their environment and available space. Antennas function best the more of it in the sky. If there is nothing above you, use the space and go as high as you can.  This is how I see it. We are not limited by inquisitive neighbours and would be troublemakers, yet. 

The vertical dipole antenna is the way to go. This antenna can be configured as a top and bottom loaded vertical dipole if and when necessary. As long as the complete antenna from tip to tip is one half wave long for the frequency, the antenna will function adequately.  Adequately because the ideal antenna is the vertical dipole construction, and 0.5db or more  is lost when using top and bottom hats for loading. The design calls for a vertical element of 1/8 wavalength, and the hats make up the total length of 1/2 wavelength. I believe that any vertical length above 1/8 wavelength can be used, and I see commercial antenna models with center loading coils. 

Ham radio operators are encouraged to search the internet, see what information can be found on this antenna, and experient. A good antenna analyzer is very important. My RigExpert analyzer workd wonders for me. Do not make the price an issue. This is one of the best amateure radio investment you can make. https://rigexpert.com/products/antenna-analyzers/ , of course if you feel the need to buy a brand and a model that is cheaper, no problem, just make sure that you get accurate measurements from it.  The amateur radio station is as good as the antenna installed and tested.

Up to now, at the end of November 2021, I have not heard anything from the NTRC about the RF intrference, noise and frequency jamming on the amateur radio bands, caused by the electric company, skelec. The electric company has refused to cease and decist from generating the interfering signals from their eqipment. The local NTRC and the regional body ECTEL cannot get rid of the RF interference from the frequencies, so amateur radio is seriously damaged and unfixable by the authority. I suspect that if it was a small entity breaking the laws all pressure would be brought to bear and someone might even go to jail, but when you are big and large the laws can be broken in pieces and nothing for that. But what goes around, comes around, and where things start is not there they end. A word to the wise is enough. 

[to be continued]  

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old rigs never die .... But ....

40/80 meter antenna, more

Five months and counting