Forward ...


In this season we cannot afford to be left behind, no matter your reason or excuse. This is not a heartless viewpoint as some may see it, but one of reality and optimism. I am following the established protocols remaining in place, and tremendously enjoying myself. Amateur radio is my hobby, and communicating with people around the world is what I do. I suspect that over the last six [6] months, many people have taken the opportunity to change their hobbies, pastimes, even though some never tire at watching TV reruns and playing video games. I suspect that a few of them may even have tried various aspects of amateur radio.

I am informed that two [2] new SDR radios were imported into V4 land for two established amateur radio operators. I am pleased to see that operators are embracing the SDR technology, and are serious enough about amateur radio to continue growing the art and hobby, even in the face of the covid-19 and its alleged hardships. Smart people will always recognize the important role that amateur radio plays in national and global events and situations like this which we now experience. It is hoped that the local amateur radio society can lever this situation to a National advantage, and I leave it at that.

Here is a snapshot of the latest addition to the stock of amateur radios in V4. It is a Chinese copy [RS-918/978] of the mcHF radio. Please check YouTube for the details of all radio referenced in this blog. 


This is called a QRP radio, because the output power is only 15-watts, much lower than the usual and  conventional 100-watts power output. The receiver in these radios are as good as those in other brands of radios. I hear that the price of the radio is about 300 uncle Sam, which is good, attractive, and a good buy for someone starting off in the amateur radio hobby.



A few years ago I made the switch to SDR with the Flex 1500 radio [above]  to experiment with the technology. My plan was to be portable with a laptop so that I could demonstrate amateur radio on the street, but I did not take this plan into phase two. I set up the radio on my computer and it is still there. The Flex runs about 10-watts output. The Flex 1500 is now years outdated, but the SDR technology is fresh. SDR is the future of amateur radio. Take a look at the Sherwood receiver data table [link below], and compare the receivers of the industry. Unfortunately, every brand of amateur radio receiver does not make this PERFORMANCE list.

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html 

If you are not familiar with these radios, this https://www.rigpix.com/  database website can show and tell all that you need to know. Very old brands of radios are no longer available.

I am a serious fan of Flex radio. I like all brands of amateur radio equipment, but FLEX is my favorite, because any problem that I experience with the Flex radio is repaired in a matter of hours, [speaking from experience] and now days with covid-19. I cannot say that with any other brand of radio. In my book the "After Sales Service" is most important. The serious amateur radio operators around the world are all turning to Flex for their amateur radio radio equipment. I suggest that you take a look ot their offering, and plan your next amateur radio station today. Make YouTube your Flex radio best friend. 

https://www.flexradio.com/

There are a few brands of QRP radios available. The only one I would recommend is Elecraft. It is a bit more expensive than the Chinese clone, but the "After Sales Service" is real. If you are looking for a great receiver, 15-watts power output and low cost does not upset you, you don't have to go very far. Google and YouTube Elecraft for more information.


https://elecraft.com/ 

Amateur radio in V4 is picking up. My antennas are down because a couple of storms passed through the islands, but I am still hearing strong signals from Europe and South America, and listening to a morning DX net on 14.207. The key to great contacts is having the best antenna system that you can afford. Any kind of antenna with gain is preferred to a piece of wire dipole. I still try to figure out why operators seriously invest in their equipment then install a piece of wire going nowhere, and expect to contact the world. It does not work like that. Listen to the serious DX operators, they use antennas of gain, and many are using low power. I recently heard a European station with 25 watts and a 4-element beam on 20-meters talking to a n amateur radio operator in Trinidad and Tobago.

One of the problems facing amateur radio operators in V4 is the lack of aluminum tubing to make antennas. But there is no shortage of wire, so maybe we can build wire beams, but then we run into another real problem , because many of us do not have to yard space to install high gain wire beams. The wire and building expertise is available, but no space. So what shall we do then? Over the years I have heard certain amateur radio clubs [in other IARU regions] operating a DX club station for the members. It was not unusual to contact many operators from that station per session.

Locally, I have not heard anything official about the RF interference, noise and frequency jamming that the amateur radio operators complained about to the NTRC last year.  It is now eleven months since the "cease and desist" order was issued to the interfering entity/party, and I have stopped counting. Last time I listened on the bands I still detect interference. So another month has gone by and October 7th 2020 will make one full year. Amateur Radio in V4 land continue to be under serious threat. However, I am now focusing my amateur radio activity on 20-meter DX. Openings are now better as the new cycle shapes up. The up coming winter months are great for 40-meter activity but the RF interference on the low bands will kill it. 

[to be continued]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old rigs never die .... But ....

40/80 meter antenna, more

Five months and counting