Ham Radio 2017

Greetings Ham Radio Ops, all,

This is just a coincidence, that this blog is now an annual event, but going forward I will change that. There is a lot to say about ham radio, as we seek to introduce our ham radio operators to the world, and the world to our ham radio operators in V4, St Kitts and Nevis.

Since my last blog many things have happened, and you can catch up on all the action, and get up to speed on the amateur radio society's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/ST-KITTS-NEVIS-ANGUILLA-AMATEUR-RADIO-SOCIETY-146131718557/

The amateur radio society is moving fast forward, working to put many things in place, as quickly as we can. Working fast is the order of the day, because we have to be as safe as possible soonest. No one wants to be caught pants down between June and December. Hurricanes are not like before. Irma and Maria did not adversely affect St Kitts, Nevis or Antigua in 2017, so we are not taking any chances in the years ahead.

It is regrettable that we are still not in contact with ham radio operators in the islands which were affected by hurricanes Irma and Maria. This tells us here in V4 that whatever ham radio communication systems that we had in place before these hurricanes was inadequate, just not good enough. The ham radio society of St Kitts and Nevis is now rebuilding a new hardened vhf system that should serve us and the region well, if ever we have to face another category 5 hurricane.

This is the first time that this region has had to face a ham radio situation like this. Many of us do not know where to begin. Until we speak with the hams who were affected, and know their story, we can only imagine. I believe that future looking ham radio groups, need to have a serious plan of action and operations, that spin off into the ham radio community.

I am of the view that ham radio operators now know what to expect in the worst case scenario of a category 5 hurricane strike in our country and need to fashion our ham radio equipment and portability accordingly. This will mean that we exercise wisdom in planning our ham shack. For example, I may like an Icom 7851, a great rig for everything. I can put it in a trunk safe from storm and hurricane. Unfortunately if I have to evacuate in hurry, I may have to leave it behind. If I had instead an Elecraft KX3, I could stick it in my gym bag and fly through the window opening.

But then I can have both rigs, knowing full well that I will have to leave the IC-7851 behind.  I figure it would be hard for many of us to leave an IC-7851 behind. But those are the breaks. Storms and hurricanes do not happen every day, so we have time to get ourselves mentally prepared for these types of events. I don't think that the best planning can really get us  prepared to deal with a cat 5 event.

Almost every day we are being prepared for Tsunami activity by the media. Many of us do not wish to speak about this. Many hams are not actively preparing for it either. Those of us who live up on the hillside but still not in the potential safe zones, must be concerned for our brothers and sister who live on the low lands and coastline. Some situations are hard to think about, and could give you headaches, and drive you crazy just thinking, so they are just left alone. Maybe the only solution is to have a ham radio go bag so you are good to evacuate at a moments notice.

Being prepared for any eventuality is the key. I have found that what you are prepared for does not come. What you get is something that you are unprepared for.  Something you did not see coming.  I take this opportunity to wish all the ham radio operators  in all the islands affected by hurricanes Irma and Maria all the best in ham radio for the season, and if there is any thing that we can help you with let us talk about it. Someone is always listening and willing to help. That is what ham radio is about.

Now, my ham radio has been quite active at V44KF.  Both the 40 and 80 meter antennas were up, but not in use. I have them on fold over masts, making them a one man raising/lowering operation. Both antennas are top and bottom loaded vertical models. They were both taken down for hurricanes Irma and Maria. After the weather passed I discovered that the wire used for the top and bottom loading was rotted out, and had to be abandoned.

I converted the 40-meter antenna to a quarter wave vertical, and put two elevated radials on it. That is all the City lot will allow. The 80-meter antenna has been converted to a 40 meter vertical too, just radials to be installed now. This antenna is spaced 90 degrees away for the other one, and I will play around with 135 degree and 90 degree phasing, and beam patterns as soon as I get my hands on more coax cable.

The shack, as it was, is no more. I gave away all the rigs in the shack. The Drake C line with L4B, the Drake TR4CW line, the Kenwood-TS940SAT line, and continued my 20-year clean up project, which still has not gone any further. I am hopeful that I get this room cleaned up before 2018. I am hopeful that I can place an Elecraft K3S in there, and maybe when I win the lotto, a Kenwood TS-990 and an Icom 7851, just for the fun of it.

The ham shack is now relocated onto my  computer with my Facebook and my photography. I am using a Flex 1500 radio, so I don't have to move from room to room anymore, just from computer window to computer window. It can't get any better than this.  Let me screenshot you a sample.  I believe the CQWW contest in on for another hour.  I am saving up to buy a Flex 6700. When push come to shove I can run with one over my shoulder [laptop] and the other [Flex 6700] under my arm.







On a serious note though, I believe that the Flex radios are the best choice for ham radio in these times. First I think we have to invest in performance rated equipment. I no longer look at pretty and flashy ham radio stuff. I have nothing against the Asian made ham radio gear, the better the performance, the higher the cost. And they are still not outperforming the ham gear made in the USA for less. But all ham operators are not performance oriented.

When you live in a remote place like V4 you need to know that your rig works all the time, and when it does not you need to know how to get it fixed fastest.  I had problems with an Asian made radio and I was told to go buy another one, current model. That will not happen again. I begin my rig search with the receiver test data table from Sherwood engineering here

http://www.sherweng.com/table.html

If you are just a casual ham radio operator, listening more than working DX, then any radio is great for you. But when you are interested in working DX, and you also live in kilowatt alley, like in V4, you need to have a good receiver in you radio. I live in between ham operators, the one and my North is about 800 meters away, and on the South he is 400 meters away.  My receiver must have a good front end, and design to deal with this same band level of RF. You have a to experience a Flex radio to fully appreciate its impact on ham radio. The Flex Maestro or Ipad is the way to go. Check them out here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVuN8-9y2ZI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQl2GXSFEb8

After being in ham radio for a few years [like 49] I have developed a liking for certain brands of equipment and antennas. These days we are plagued by all sorts of fly by night people who want to make a quick dollar,  and who provide all the popular items at what appear to be a better price. Most of us are caught by the price but later find that the item is not as good as one that cost only a few cents more. The UHF plug PL-259 is a good example.  I only buy brand name UHF fittings. They cost a few pennies more, but I am sure of what I am getting. Of course it is your money, but you only get the chance to spend it once.

The same goes for coaxial cable.  I hear people can buy coax cable regularly at almost a dollar a foot, but on sale for a quarter the price.  Question, is it the same brand of coax cable, for a quarter the price? Recently I came across coax cable with the same number, but a different velocity factor.  I did not argue with them, I just went my way. You see, when you need to build a phasing line for an antenna system you need to be precise with lengths, and that is determined by the cable velocity, there is a difference between 0.80 and 0.82. Next thing your tests and experiments are off.

In these days one has to know what one is getting.  I have found that it is not wise to try to save a dollar. Buy quality radios, cables, accessories, parts.  If you are into antennas, or antenna experimenting, invest in the best antenna analyzer that you can afford. Because it is popular, does not mean it is better.  One day a European ham was selling me on the sark 100 analyzer for under 100 dollars, because my Autek analyzer had failed. He had a sark 100, but he also had another analyzer model for almost 990 dollars. I suspect that the 990 dollar analyzer was to check if the sark 100 was working ok.

My personal analyzer preference is  the w5big.com model sold by array solutions.

https://www.arraysolutions.com/antenna-analyzers

 Always buy the best ham radio equipment you can afford.  Cheap ham radio equipment is no deal at all. The best deals are costly but worth it. When I invest in a good brand meter like Fluke I am sure that I can have it factory serviced in needed. Not so sure that is possible with most other meters.

I am now looking around for another 80-meter antenna that can fit on my City lot.  In sight is the Shared Apex Loop antenna sold by Array Solutions.

https://www.arraysolutions.com/as-sal-30-mk2

If I can just get that to squeeze into my City lot I am home free for low band reception.

Ham radio is alive and doing well in skb, at least from the shack of  V44KF. I am developing an interest in 17 meters and 6 meters. I am still undecided about what antenna to build and use  on 17 and 12.  The antenna of choice with all things being equal is the DX engineering skylark on a length or two of pipe. On this  island no one is ever far from the beach and the salt water.

https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/dxe-2x7

Ham radio in v4 is looking good. Hope that your ham radio is also on the upswing. If you need to talk about something in ham radio, privately or publicly, let us do that at your convenience.  Happy holidays, all the best for the season, until we make contact again
73
Keeth,V44KF

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old rigs never die .... But ....

40/80 meter antenna, more

Five months and counting