... action time 2010

Ham Radio is alive and doing better in St Kitts and Nevis. I wish all hams will continue to prosper in 2010. I am expected to say something like that as an opening statement. We already know things are better, and not just down here in the sunny Caribbean, because we are all here, as in alive, to appreciate that, and we have a handle on our destiny. I am not entertaining any discussion on this destiny topic, as some folks seem to believe that the world will end in 2012, or is it now 2050 or sometime. If the end is so close then we could afford to throw caution to the wind and have ourselves a ham radio ball, like take our last cent and treat ourself to that dream rig. The other option is to do like some others on the planet oblivious of the apparent 'end of the world' and continue to live one day at a time, taking this ham radio hobby in stride.

Ham radio is doing better in V4 because the first monthly meeting of our ham radio society was very well attended by 10 hams, and we did not have rain. This is a significant improvement, when for many months in 2009 only 2, 3 and 4 of us showed up, and a couple times only the President was there, by his lonesome. The recession really hit us hams hard. Well, that has to take the blame for just about everything. It is not unlike how hams get the blame for everything electrical, even to the neighbours washing machine which they claim our ham radio antenna has adversely affected, even though you are away, on holiday in the big apple.

I think we have rediscovered the word "action". All the big plans and programs on paper ain't worth anything, until some measure of action puts a focus on the destination. So our ham radio group is "fired up and ready to go" [Obama had nothing to do with this firing up] to carry the radio society to the next roadblock. Of course if we clear the road early, we could get home free, block free, and I hope that is what will happen now that we are moving forward again. This club, community type action , usually spins off into the personal ham operations. I recall that when I built, installed and demo the 80-meter top and bottom loaded vertical dipole at the society HQ, by the next weekend I was at a ham operators's home helping to install his 80-meter top and bottom loaded vertical dipole. The club helps to set the tone for V4 ham radio operators.

I am still looking around for my next rig. I am totally convinced that I now require more than one or two rigs on the operating table. I always had two or three rigs, from time immemorial, so what brought on this attitude? I will not waste any time trying to make a determination, but just get directly to the bottom line, and get the additional rigs. Given the recession and all that, I believe it is important that I get the best rig possible, not just any rig will do now. My station must be capable of interfacing with the commercial type systems, outside the realms of ham radio.

Ham radio is okay, but there usually come a time when we need that little extra to make a difference. We live in the hurricane zone and should be prepared to offer an effective communications response, if ever required. Marine radios provide that flexibility rather cheaply. I don't particularly wish for an Icom brand radio, so the search continues on eBay. My trusty Kenwood TS-940SAT is up to the job, in peace time, but I would not risk it nor put any money on it when the winds begin to blow, rain falls and the thunder and lightening are having a ball for the better part of 24 hours. Just moving the TS-940 rig around is risk enough, even in a padded foam lined suitcase.

I believe that we have finally found the solution to the portable top and bottom loaded vertical, but I can't share that info yet. I also believe that we will now have more local hams trying out this T-cap antenna. I am still trying to understand why the obsession with a multi-band antennas. Maybe it has to do with zoning laws which we do not have, or kinky neighbours, which I do not have. Maybe I am just lucky to live in a particular location. But then again I only have up 3 verticals, not any tower with beams that may appear threatening to my neighbours. Not to make fun of them, but some folks really believe that we can listen to them with a beam antenna.

The local politics will soon cool down with nomination day later today Jan 15th, and polling day on Jan 25th. I believe that very early in the life of the next administration which begins on Jan 26th, we, the hams, have to make a move on the Ministry of National Security and Finance to secure some benefits for our hams, radio club and society. We have been talking to ourselves [like crazy people] for too long, and it is time for action, and if the world is ending in 2012, what more do we have to loose?

I passed another milestone on Jan 14th. Thanks to my Facebook ham friends who sent Birthday Greetings, cyber cake and gifts. I guess it is the recession why no one sent me a rig, but then I am so picky and choosy that it might have been 'returned to sender'.

To all you hams out there, get up off your rusty dusty this new year 2010, get active, with whatever action, even if its just wiping the dust of the rig. Make something happen so I can hear it down here.

It is pretty sad about Haiti. In the worst case scenario Haiti can be on the list of the "rare stations" for a while.

73

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old rigs never die .... But ....

40/80 meter antenna, more

Five months and counting