40/80 meter single feed line vertical dipole antenna surprise

WOW!!!!! I made a contact into Maryland this morning with 5 watts on the experimental antenna. I was not even calling the station, I only came of 7.195 MHz and asked if anyone was around, looking for any of the usual local or Caribbean hams, and a W3 station responded.

He gave me a signal report but I don't think that I heard him correctly, so I am not repeating it, but the last time I got that quality report I was using a Drake TR4C, L4B and a two element phased array beaming to North America. Anyway, I made the trip to MD with 5 watts and did not have to repeat anything. I know the SWR on the 40 meter portion of the antenna is 1 to 1 at 7.150 MHz. So maybe I should not really be surprised. It could also be that Storm ANA that is 3 days away to our East could have affected the atmosphere to such a degree that it messed with the propagation, creating a super path between V4 and W3.

But that is not all, because today is the first time that I have received Guyana, 8R1WD to be exact, RS59+10, and the St Lucia stations were RS59+20 and heading for +25. Something seems to be happening with that antenna, that I did not expect, but as scientists, this one off occurrence is not the conclusive proof. It has to happen again, and again, almost "ad infinitum", for it to be considered as the real thing. I guess the antenna gurus with the fancy antenna analyzer software can explain what is going on. As a practical ham I am only concerned with the antenna performance, that is, its ability to deliver on DX contacts, both in transmit and receive.

The plan for today is to take down the antenna and readjust the vertical section taps. Shorten for 80 meters and lengthen for 40 meters. With the storm just 3 days out we may get some early showers, so we dare not procrastinate.

Today is also set for a reconnoitre of the SKNAARS HQ antenna site, and maybe with a cordless drill, bolts and some pieces of 2x4 lumber the antenna may be up in the air on a temporary mount, over the heads of frequent trespassers and wandering cows. Such could be the trials and tribulation in this part of the world. The good thing is that we have learned to take these things in stride, and not to make mountains out of these mole hills. Taking it slow and easy always seem to works best.

The sun is out in its typical Saturday morning glory so its time to make a move.

73

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old rigs never die .... But ....

40/80 meter antenna, more

Five months and counting