"we should do this every month"

This was the comment made by V44KW at the conclusion of the exercise last evening. We were at that time in the Red Cross HQ building on Horsford's Road which housed the EOC and emergency station for the Basseterre communications district. I did not hear any dissenting comments, neither did I hear any verbal response to acknowledge that anyone else in the group heard his comment. For my part I agree, and now that I think about it, it is a great idea, but it does not have to be the full blown operation with establishment of the National network, etc.

I also got to thinking that maybe we could use this platform to launch weekly DXing and operating sessions, either from the Red Cross HQ building [until our site is ready] or from portable and mobile locations. Weekend evenings may be most convenient for other hams, but any and every evening is okay for me as I am still unemployed. I have been ready for this operation since last year when my portable top and bottom loaded vertical antenna for 40-meters was built, so it is not like we are scrabbling for antennas, rigs, or station operating equipment. The plan then was to set up shop on the Bay Road, preferable at one end, either up by the Basseterre Fisheries Complex in the East, on the beach outside the fence, or at the other end of the bay down by the War Memorial in the West, and again, on the beach.

I am providing the antenna with a feed line long enough to reach into a car, SUV or truck parked on the sidewalk adjourning the beach. I am game if we can find anyone interested. This provides the opportunity for hams to experience for themselves a top and bottom loaded vertical antenna in action. I can assure, not guarantee, that it will be an unforgettable experience, one they will remember for the rest of their life. It is mind blowing to say the least, and you only have to ask those hams who have been there already, like V44KO, but it is best to feel it for yourself.

So now that ham radio has your attention again, can we carry our ham radio experience to a new level over the next week or two, and keep it up there? I think that we can if we really want to, so I am all ready, set and waiting to hear from anyone who have interest ....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Old rigs never die .... But ....

40/80 meter antenna, more

Five months and counting